Americauna laying two different shades of egg in same day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kerstinr, Mar 31, 2012.

1. kerstinr

kerstinr New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I have an one americauna, one delaware, two silver laced wyandottes and two gold laced wyandottes. All are brown egg layers except the americauna. The funny thing is that I get two green eggs usually between 9 & 10am. They are a little small and one is olive green and the other is a lighter pastel green. I'm assuming the americauna is laying both - is that possible?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Not likely. Can you post a picture of all your birds, I would presume that you have two ee's.

3. kerstinr

kerstinr New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I'll get some up on Monday - working this weekend. I definitely do no have two americaunas. The delaware is, of course, white and the other two pairs look exactly like what they are supposed to be. I think the gold laced wyandottes and delawares are on the profile pic along with the americauna (one of the delawares died last week - prolapse). The silver laced wyandottes are red with white lace around the tips. I'll take a picture of the eggs as well.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't see your avatar very well, but I'm not sure that's a glw. And the white bird doesn't look to have the right coloring for a delaware? Please post some pics of them, you've got to have another easter egger in there.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi kerstinr,

wow---that is really interesting. BTW ---> WELCOME to the BYC forum <--------

Is there ever a day when you get eggs from everyone of your hens plus 1? I guess that would show that someone is laying 2-per-day. Otherwise it seems a bit unlikely.

Sure will be interested to see what you discover when you get to the bottom of the colored egg dilemma.

6. kerstinr

kerstinr New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    That picture is from back in November - they were still young yet. They started laying about a month ago - the EE was first.

7. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Any chook can lay a blue/green egg as that colour gene is dominant.

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I think that it is highly unlikely, but could you post pictures of your hens that would probably help in deciding who might be the culprit of the second egg. [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] 2 eggs in a day? Some say that it is possible, but surely not on a regular/routine basis. Without seeing your birds, I am willing to bet that you have at least 2 EE.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I'm thinking one of your white birds is an easter egger. The one on the far right of your photo appears to have slightly green legs in the picture. It also doesn't seem to have as much of the columbian pattern going as the one on the left.

The best way to tell for sure who is laying what is to put them in a cage one at a time until they lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by