1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americauna or Araucana in Maine?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by combatfuzzball, Mar 12, 2017.

1. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Does anyone in Maine have true Americauna or Araucana's?I'd like to try and find some from a farm preferably in the central Maine Area. I've tried finding them online and either what they have are not true purebloods or they're ridiculously high priced for me. I would like to find a breeding pair of either one. Failing that I'd be open to finding some Roosters to add to the small flock of (Americana) EE's I have.
    I really like these breeds and would like to be able to do something to preserve them rather than make a profit out of it.
    Does anyone know of reputable breeders in the area?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good, real Ameraucanas and especially Araucanas will be ridiculously high priced. It takes a lot of time and effort to separate and select birds for quality pairings and to stay true to the breed standard. What is the price point you are looking for? I would expect to pay $15+ dollars for an Ameraucana day olds.

poultryshowcentral is one place to look, as well as ameraucanaalliance.org and araucana.net and centralmainebirdfanciers.org

3. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Also the Facebook groups for those breeds as well as the poultry groups for your area...

4. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Thanks, I am looking at some of those sites and would expect to pay what your thinking. I am a bit leery of spending that amount of money before shipping. Hope to find something soon though.

5. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I don't blame you! Especially this time of year and with the crazy weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by