Americauna or Black/Lav Split Orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zanna, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    This hen should be either a Black/Lav. Split Orpington (sent as packing peanuts with my order) or one of several Black or Blue Americaunas that I actually ordered. I have 3 of these girls that look similar. Two more I have are obvious Orps, but maybe they are roos? (they are almost twice the size as this one). These girls are much smaller but a little bigger than the two Black Americaunas that came with the order that look "pure" (beards, muffs, etc.). They were all born around Oct. 3rd so are about 16 weeks old. Maybe EE??
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't think it is either, perhaps a poor quality split Orpington, but otherwise. . . I'd say an Australorp. It has no beard or muffs for an Ameraucana, a very thin, small headed, and upright tailed body for an Orpington, . . . I'd say either a poor quality Orpington or an Australorp.

Pea comb or single comb?

3. Zanna

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Thanks Illia! Not sure on the comb, I have 3 of these girls, they all look almost identical. I will check close tomorrow.........I have a bunch of youngsters and this breeder sent me some oddities for sure!

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:X2. Definitely not an Ameraucana, doubtful for Orpington. It does look like a Aussie pullet to me.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Looks like my australorps when they were young.

6. Zanna

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Thanks everyone. They do have single combs but they are really small........I have FBCM the same age and they have a large comb in comparision, these girls you almost need a magnifying glass [​IMG] and the combs are very pale, almost white. I don't think the breeder even breeds australorpes but I will check out her website again. I have a feeling they are just bad reps. from her lav. orp project pen as they were sent as packing peanuts. She sent 8 and I believe they all looked the same as day olds. Things got really confusing as I originally wanted a dozen day olds of 3 different breeds (FBCM, Blue Americaunas, and partridge penes). After her 3rd bad hatch rate she ended up mailing me all the hatches from the first, second and third batches and the packing peanuts to go with the day olds as there were not enough babies to stay warm. Some also died so I had a hard time keeping track of what was what!!! She really tried to accomodate me and I was very happy with that but it was extremely confusing with all of the different ages and the additional breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by