Americauna or Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DanceswLabs, Jun 25, 2011.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I have six of these pretty pullets which were sold to me as Americaunas. Are they Americaunas or Easter Eggers? I am confused about the difference. I am happy either way; I just want to call them by the right name.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are beautiful EE's. Anytime anyone spells Americauna (with an I) instead of Ameraucana, they are EE's. You have to get Ameraucana's from a breeder, not a hatchery or feedstore.

3. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Ah...well I think they spelled it with an "i." I think they are cuties. They look like they are wearing little muffs around their necks!
    Thanks for the info!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are very cute. Love the color variety of them. I have an EE and pure Ameraucana's and love them both. But my EE has the most personality.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are a nice looking group too!

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep yep, those are pretty EEs! Ameraucanas are a very exclusive breed in coloration. They can only come in 8 specific colors. Any deviation from the coloring, and it's not technically an Ameraucana anymore.

Personally, I like EE's more. [​IMG] (dont hurt me Ameraucana breeders!)
    They're like Jelly Bellys, the main source of their attractiveness comes from their variety!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a beautiful bunch of Easter Eggers! Very, very pretty.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A beautiful bunch of EEs. In the last pic- I looooove that pullet on the left with the blue head- she gorgeous [​IMG]

9. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Thanks for all the compliments! Of course, I think they are exceptionally pretty, but it is nice to know others think so too.

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Beautiful birds. Mine are 8 weeks old, I watched them for a long time this afternoon marveling at how their little ear tufts have sprouted huge in the last week. They are so darn cute, I had the same feeling of need to squeeze those fuzzy little cheeks when I looked at your pictures. Their whole body shape ( from feathers of course) is just so different than our light brahmas and production reds that are 12 weeks. Anyway, great pics, enjoy your Easter eggers, I love mine![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by