Americauna or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pipthepeep, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    The golden hen in these pics was sold to me two days ago as an Americauna (or Amerecauna, idk), and I was told she lays green eggs...however, when I went out to the coop this morning, I found my first egg...and its brown! I am just curious if she looks like an Americauna or an EE?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I just bought the Columbian Wyandotte pullet...she is supposed to be at "point of lay"...how old would you estimate based on her appearance? Thanks!

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    She's a lovely EE! Congratulations! I looks like she has a lot of Ameraucana blood in her and she should be the sweetheart of your flock in personality.

3. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    oh that's funny! she hates people and runs from me whenever I even come into the run:( I am so used to super tame chickens, that she has been driving me nuts....her saving grace was going to be the green eggs...lol oh well

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Are you sure she's the one that laid the egg? That Wyandotte has a reddened face like they get when they reach point of lay.

5. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    I was wondering that too.... It looks like a pretty normal sized looking egg, but I did just get this pullet and they were sold as "point of lay"...so maybe she is an early blossomer? I am hoping that is the case--I REALLY want some green eggs!

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    your gold girl is beautiful.. give her a chance and who knows what kind of scary life she had with humans before you got her... Im also of mind that your wyandoote girl might be laying too.. maybe not regular but starting...

good luck with the girls
    )O(
    Pink

7. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    I just hate feeling like I am stressing her out whenever I come within 10 feet of her! I feel like my mere existence is torture to her....lol. hopefully she will get over it, but she doesn't even like the treats I give her!

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    OH, and I have a friendly lap EE, a cautious cockerel EE, a cautious pullet EE, and a "don't you dare touch me" EE. I think that the temperment is as variable as the coloration!

9. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    eastereggers can lay any color egg,just depends on how they were crossed.yes the temperament varies because almost all EEs are crossed with ameraucana and another breed and not all crosses make sweet birds.IMO

the wyandotte still looks too young to me.

i agree with the other post that she may have been mistreated elsewhere,give her time and find the right treat for her,watermelon,mealworms,grapes.i had one who took a year to even consider liking me,now she is the first to see what i have brought them.

10. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:Give her some time. She's a chicken, not a dog that wants your attention. She's just been sold to a new home. Chickens don't deal well with change, so wanting her to be happy to see you is expecting an awful lot from her at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by