Americauna or Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by finallyinATX, Mar 20, 2017.

1. finallyinATX

finallyinATX Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This 5 week old gal is supposed to be an Americauna but I think she looks more like a Speckled Sussex. Those were the two breeds in the brooder. What do you think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. finallyinATX

finallyinATX Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Actually now that I think about it, I don't think Speckled Sussex was in the Brooder at the time. The store didn't have those in yet. I just don't think she looks like the Americauna pics that I see.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think she is a Welsummer....salmon looking chest (if the photo colors of the first pic are truer), and more yellow colored legs (than beige of the SS), and I can't see the comb well...is it a single comb?

She doesn't have the *typical* green legs nor beard/muff of an Easter Egger (there is no Americana...that is a play off of Ameraucana indicating a mix breed chicken which should come from Ameraucana heritage correctly called an Easter Egger). However, some hatcheries are now selling EE's with no beard/muff...but they *usually* have the green legs, and should have a pea comb (especially if you want green/blue eggs as the pea comb is close to the blue genes on the allele)....otherwise what's the point of an EE?

Wait for development. SS and Wellies look a LOT alike at the early stages and at this juvenile stage.

But I bet you've got a Wellie pullet...salmon chest is a girl only color for Wellies.

LofMc

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking Sussex. I see pink/white legs...funny how we see different things on the screens [​IMG]

Not an EE, don't see any traits from that at all.

does look like a pullet, so that's a good thing!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by