1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americauna "pullet" gender and breed question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DeeAnn5, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DeeAnn5

DeeAnn5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are first-time city chicken owners and we will only be having 2 hens altogether. we've had The Barred Rock in the picture (not fully mature) for a few months, a very sweet pet and likes to ride around on my shoulder. Yesterday we traded in the young rooster for this black Americauna. "She" really seems to like it here and the 2 get along fine. 2 questions about the Americauna:
    1. Is this a hen ?
    2. do Americauna's crow a lot? This one clucked a lot last night during free-range time right after we brought her home. I thought she was just looking for her flock. But this morning she was clucking so loud it sounded like a Crow (the bird American Crow). Unfortunately we can not keep a loud crower. She's pretty quiet in the tractor, so everything's fine for now. she is only loud during her free-range time . We talked to the poultry dealer this morning and he said it sounded like she is just happy. Thoughts?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pullet to me. I have found that my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers are EXTREMELY loud compared to my other birds. In fact, I have a girl named Nala who "crows" all day--not just clucking, but literally screaming at the top of her lungs. She is still a pullet, she just has a big mouth!

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, it's definitely female. Some birds are just noisy. My coop sounds like the hallelujah chorus most mornings! Cackling, singing, general catching up on the news.....and that's not even with the roosters crowing, that's just the hens [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooh, and another thing, I have found that they often get louder when they are stressed out, ex. in a new situation or when they feel they have to be defensive. She may be feeling vulnerable during free range time, and she is trying to tell predators/other birds that they better look out because she is big and scary. I find that happy birds do tend to get a little quieter. At the same time, you have to account for personality, and some are just louder as I mentioned in the above post.

1 person likes this.
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

1 person likes this.
  6. DeeAnn5

Sep 2, 2013
    Thank you for the helpful information and response. When I finally had time to spend with them outdoors today, she had a very calm afternoon and was very quiet even during her free range time. That made perfect sense about being in a new place. Not sure if we'll be able to keep her but for only being here 24 hours she seems super happy. Unbelievable how well she and Little get along so far. She's not like Little, Little is a pet. The Americauna hasn't had time to get used to being a pet yet, she was a farm bird with a large flock.

7. DeeAnn5

Sep 2, 2013
    Just an update that both the Americauna and the Barred Rock, Lips and Little, are doing great! Lips really isn't that noisy, it was just the first day here on the free range that she was calling to her flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by