Americauna pullet

ikatiemay

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Eden Utah
Hi everyone, i have a question about my americauna. she has always been small, was a last may hatch and doesnt lay. They are all the same age and we got them all at the same time. She has started hiding from the others, staying on the feed can and staying in one of the nests. I put her down and she will mill around a little then act scared squack and run for cover. I have see an occasional peck by some of the others but she looks fine, no missing feathers or anything. They all seem to peck at each other now and then (dont we all)
smile.png
She doesnt have a comb at all and still looks like a very young bird. Her feathers have matured, she is the black, golden color. I go in the coop at night and take her out of the nest and put her on the perch with the others. Why has she started to act so strange???? Do they have meds for this condition?

Black, golden color indicates she's an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana.
smile.png

No, chickens do not need meds. They need 'em as much as most people do, honestly.
wink.png

How old is she? Her having no comb just sounds like a typical trait of a young bird with a pea comb. It hardly shows much. I know a lot of Easter Eggers are often skittish and shy, sometimes being at the bottom of the pecking order, and often all it takes is patience. I had an EE like her who, once she began laying, began to stand up for herself. She got a sort of "maturity."

Illia do you think she is an EE if she has the funky little beard? the lady that sold me the chicks told me she was an americauna but i have since found out that lady doesnt always know! Im new at this so I dont have a clue. I will try to get a pic. I tried to post a pic and couldnt before dont know what happened. somebody said I havent been a forum member long enough. Her cape is golden black and brown my DH drools over her, mumbles something about what nice flies she would make.
hmm.png

Sounds like an EE to me, too. Mine is at the top of the pecking order in my flock, so I don't experience the same things you do. But my girl is quite skittish and doesn't like to be held that much. In fact, she's hard to catch unless she squats when I approach her. The pea comb and small body size are definitely typical of EE's. Here's a pic of my EE. She's more blue and orange, but you get the idea.

48772_img_2489.jpg

She is darker than both pics. Her cape is dark golden with lots of black/brown. Her body is black brown. Not much comb! I will try the pic again. dont know why it wouldnt post for me. She has gotten so she wants me to hold her I think she feels safe. she closes her eyes and makes little peeping noises!

I just got a Black Australorp and she is also very skittish, she gets pecked a lot and sits in the nest all the time. She never eats or drinks water, she is about 3 months old. Mine is the same way, I can't catch her.

Back
Top Bottom