Americauna Rooster & Silkie hen???

Raekins

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Mukilteo, WA
So, I have never had a rooster before, and about 5 months ago we bought 4 RIR hens and 2 Americaunas that both turned out to be roosters. We already had 2 Silkie hens that are now around a year old. I let all of them wander around the yard together but a few minutes ago saw one of the roosters.. mounting? the silkie hen.. he stuck his foot down on her and grabbed her fluffy head with his mouth.. I feel stupid for asking, but is he.. mating.. with her?? Wouldnt she be too small for him??

CoopCrazy

Brooder Boss
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Columbus,IN
Yep they are mating.... Standards and bantams can and do mate with eachother .. Just watch them carefuly as a standard roo can hurt a bantam ...

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
Be very careful with those two together. I foolishly put a couple of silkies in with a young ameraucana roo and he tore them up. He prefered them to the other girls. By the time I realized they weren't going to "work it out", he had really torn them up. They still haven't molted the feathers out and back in and look just pitiful. I moved them back into the banty pen and left him with only standard size hens.

Good luck!

Top Bottom