1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americauna stopped laying after molt??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Emily1220, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    My americauna has laid an egg a day for the past year and then went into a molt. She didnt lay for 2 months. She is all nicely feathered again and eating well but over the past month she has only laid 3 eggs. Whats happening?? I thought once they finish molting and start laying again she would lay an egg every day again like she did before. All my leghorns molted and stopped laying. But once they started laying, they have continued laying every day. What should I do, if anything??

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Holding Leghorns up as the model is sure to cause a tad of disappointment b/c they are machines.

Your bird must have had a hard moult and she's slowly coming back. If she is otherwise behaving normally I wouldn't worry, although I can see how frustrating it would be!

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yea definitely. Her molt must have been very hard on her. Nothing to worry about yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by