Americauna vs EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I need to get something straight for me concerning Americauna vs EE chickens as I keep reading conflicting info for these two/one ? chickens.
    I have read that they are not the same and also that they are the same.
    So someone please tell me which is correct?????
    I understand that an EE is a crossbred bird.
    If they are not the same, how do you tell the difference? Mine are to young to lay eggs yet
    I am sure there is a thread somewhere on BYC in the hundreds of thousands of threads but I certainly don't know where.
    Someone please straighten me out.
    deb

PS...I am striving to be a bigger chicken! LOL!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. ESofVA Hi!

You are not alone in the confusion about these two, it abounds!

Ameraucana (no i in the spelling) is a recognized chicken breed by the APA, (American Poultry Association)- and EE is not. Here is one link where they work to clarify the differentiation:

http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

Easter Eggers are any chicken that has the blue egg gene. It could lay many different colors of eggs, brown, green, white or blue...all in differing shades.

Characteristics are a pea comb, and a muff or beard around the neck. They are beautiful birds one and all. The ameraucana allows only specific colors and must have slate colored legs. (they are also supposed to lay blue eggs)

Birds that look identical, with pea combs and slate legs, that lay blue eggs---but aren't one of the approved feathering colorations are Easter Eggers. so only ameraucana breeders supply true ameraucanas and everything else that is called an ameraucana is most likely an Easter Egger. Add to this that the ameraucana breed was (according to a former president of the ameraucana club) derived from easter eggers, and hatcheries will sell birds under the name americanan, ameraucan---well every variation-- It leads ot a lot of confusion.

I have heard that EEs are better layers than Ameraucanas, so if you want a pretty backyard bird for eggs, then an EE may be the better choice.

It will be soooo interesting to hear what the experts on this have to say.

ETA - I have an Easter Egger that is a treasure. She has a personality, lays a large sized mint green egg every day---and she is now a mother...because I hatched six chicks from her eggs. :O)

3. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I think I have both. Two I have that I was told were EE by someone are almost identical in color and they have an almost flat top line when they move around. Another looks nothing like them except it also moves flat...have to go...will be back.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    This article may help you. There is no standard or totally accepted by everyone definition of an EE. To me, an EE should at least have the blue egg gene, but there are people on this forum that argue against that simple definition. There are strict standards and definitions for what an Ameraucana or Auracana should be.

EE/Ameraucana/Araucana comparison
    http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

The original blue egg laying chickens were found in Chile. These were the backyard chickens of Chile, no breeds, standard colors, anything. They just laid a blue egg. Some were brought to the United States where the Ameraucana and Araucana were developed from them. This history of the Ameraucana makes fascinaton reading to me. Notice it is from the Ameraucana Breeders Asociation so, to me, it has credibility.

http://www.ameraucana.org/history.html

Like other recognized chicken breeds, the Standards or Perfection for Ameraucana and Araucana were developed so people could show chickens and compete against each other. Someone arbitrarily decided Araucanas should have tufts. Someone arbitrarily decided Ameraucanas should have muffs. The colors, patterns, and configuration are all arbitrary decisions so they can grade them when they compete in shows. Chicken genetics can get complicated prettty quickly. You can take purebred chickens perfectly matching the Standards of Perfection and breed them to each other. Within a very few generations, unless you carefully select your breeders, the offspring will no longer meet the Standard of Perfection. It is a real challenge to breed birds to meet those standards and a real challenge to maintain those standards.

Hope this helps a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: