americauna.....what kind?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by katdam, May 28, 2010.

1. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i just bought an americauna...my first one....did some research and didn't realize there were so many different kinds....hoping the experts on here could help...thanks
    it is 4 days old i think (pretty close anyway)....it would rather sleep in a blanket near my neck than in the brooder, is that normal, are they cuddlers? any info would also help.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's an easter egger. There are no specific colors for this type of chicken since they are not bred to any standard, most hatcheries just through them all in together and you get what you get......

If it is a single bird, it will definately want attention from you.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I agree, it's got the same chipmunk look that my easter egger's had when they were babies. If you don't have any others, it's going to want pretty much constant attention because they are social animals and do better with others than alone. Let me tell you, it's very liable to look NOTHING like that when it feathers out. [​IMG]

4. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i have 9 more assorted breeds coming in next week..i think i can manage giving it extra attention until they arrive....i guess i'll start my research on ee...thanks i love this website!

5. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    She is an EE. Her color will change. Why not get her a friend or two. You should always have more than one chick.

6. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i just got the 1 because my dog thought one of my RIR roos would taste good....lost it yesterday...my first chicken death and i'm still upset...this was its replacement....but since they are social and don't like to be alone that will give me an excuse to get another...my hubby said 1 because i got 9 more coming....we will see how long it takes of the constant chirping to change his mind!

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    another example of chicken math in action
    1=2 replacements

I love that

8. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    definately an EE mine are now a few months old but 3 looked much like that as chicks this is what they look like now

[​IMG]
    The reddish and black ones are the chipmunk chick ones lol.

WAYYYYYY different once they feather in but I think all my EEs are absolutely GORGEOUS

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:FYI, looks like two females in the front and the back three are cockerels.....

10. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    pips&peeps :

Quote:FYI, looks like two females in the front and the back three are cockerels.....

yes it is I have 3 hens and 4 cockerals

two in the front are amelia and sookie and two in the back are chow and long shadow the blackish one is Alcide​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by