Americauna

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MountainChickenMama, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    My Americauna just layed her first egg today, a green one, so exciting, however, I thought she was going to give us "normal" size eggs, however, it is smaller than the bantam polish/silkie's first egg....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....She has been raised in a garage inside a large dog kennel (the "bigger" chickens kept trying to kill her when I put them together)...could this be the reason the egg is SO small?

2. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    First eggs are usually smaller than normal. I'm not sure if keeping her in a dog kennel would affect size but it does sound sad to be that chicken.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My first thought is that she must be an Easter Egger, having a green egg. [​IMG]

Second thought is - It is quite normal. My Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets started out with a pretty tiny bright blue egg, and they're still laying small eggs. They're not bantams, but their eggs look like such.

Your eggs will get bigger as the pullets mature.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto

and those who don't start laying larger eggs will be culled/sold/rehomed in May or June.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:Ditto

and those who don't start laying larger eggs will be culled/sold/rehomed in May or June.

lol I'm hoping to have green egg layers to replace my bantams too.

6. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Scarletbaby - She is free ranged during the day, just in the kennel when not free ranging....I thought it was better for her to be alive then killed by the larger chickens...

Thanks everyone for the replies...

7. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    i have a hen like that she lay a bantam size egg even those she a standard amerucana and 1 year old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by