Americauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Littleblessings, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Littleblessings

Littleblessings Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Greenville OH
    These were advertised americaunas but I'm not sure. This is odd but I got them from a monestary here in ohio. Lol. They are 10.5 weeks. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Those are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Easter Eggers are mixed breed chickens that lay colored eggs (blue, green, pink, etc.) and usually have Ameraucana in their ancestry. They differ from true, purebred Ameraucanas in that they can be nearly any color and have many different body characteristics. Ameraucanas can only be a few set color varieties and must have certain characteristics: muff and beard, pea comb, etc.

Many hatcheries and large scale dealers mistakenly sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas. Real Ameraucanas can usually only be purchased from local breeders.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are all Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are often called "Americanas" by hatcheries.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely Easter Eggers. Hatcheries often incorrectly market EEs under the labels Araucana or Ameraucana (frequently misspelled by the hatchery as Americana or Americauna). There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by