Americaunas have feathered toes?

fmledford

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Kingsville, OH

This is one of our Americauna chicks. I was wondering if they are true americaunas. I'm not sure that they are supposed to have feathered feet. Is there a good way to sex them at this age?

Well, I guess I won't be seeing any of those blue eggs. They all have feathered feet! At least I know it's a "he", now I can name him. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

I don't see ANY Ameraucana in that bird. An Ameraucana mix wouldn't have that nice straight comb, should have some beard/muffs and dark skin. I'd say it's pure Marans, with the white skin, but it's pretty heavily feathered legs even for a Marans. I wouldn't rule out something like a Cochin, either.

I'd send a pic to the breeder and ask what's up.

Looks like a brahma cross! Did the breeder have any brahmas? Last year I had special ordered 15 dark brahma pullets from Mt. Healthy thru work ..... one of them is a cross with an americauna. She's smaller than the others, has a red tint to her feathers, has lighter feathering on the feet vs. the pure dark brahmas, & lays eggs that are a light blue/green & brown tint. I named her Ariel. Accidents happen!

welcome-byc.gif

I don't see ANY Ameraucana in that bird. An Ameraucana mix wouldn't have that nice straight comb, should have some beard/muffs and dark skin. I'd say it's pure Marans, with the white skin, but it's pretty heavily feathered legs even for a Marans. I wouldn't rule out something like a Cochin, either.

I'd send a pic to the breeder and ask what's up.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Too much feathering on the feet. I have some very good Blue/Black Marans and they aren't even close to that much feathering. Not that I don't think it is adorable. I love feathered feet.

Honestly it reminds me of a Blue Langshan with those tall legs.

Back
Top Bottom