Americaunas not laying/stopped laying

Saraley

Chirping
May 22, 2017
I am very unfamiliar with this breed - my kids won 6 free chicks at a tractor supply drawing last April. - I am not even sure if they are true Americaunas (that was just what we were told when we got them). Also not sure if it was a straight run or poults. We had them in a smaller coop with 9 Isa Browns that we got about the same time. They began laying late summer a mixture of pale blue/green eggs (almost an off white). In October we got a call from an elderly lady that had a bunch of Chickens but was no longer able to care for them anymore - and asked if we would take them. We got very little info about the new chickens - but they appeared to be Rhode Island Reds - there were 3 roosters in this bunch of a total of 25 chickens. They also did not start Laying for about a month after we got them and when they did they were pollut eggs - so I assumed they were also very young. We combined the new Chickens with our 15 Americaunas/Isa Brown mix in a bigger new coop. Within the first few weeks we lost 3 of the Americaunas - so we have 3 remaining. It has been almost 4/5 months now that they have been in the same coop - but we have not had anymore of the light green/blue eggs since we switched coops. They seem healthy/happy otherwise. So I am not sure if these 3 chickens were ever laying/laying well since we had six when we were getting the eggs and now we are down to 3. They do not appear to be roosters to me - but I know americaunas are kinda different in appearance (with there comb and waddles etc...). They mostly stay on the roosting bars and very rarely come down into the run... so maybe it is a light/weather thing. Just looking for some thoughts/insight. They would be about 10/11 months old right now. All our other chicken are laying well even with our bellow zero temps lately.
20210220_133841.jpg
20210220_133857.jpg
20210220_133901.jpg
20210220_133832.jpg

Mine are ridiculously fickle about laying - first to stop in the fall, and last to start in the spring. And often sporadic during summer too. I tell ya, if it weren't for the blue eggs and fluffy cheeks...

I wish someone would ask if they could give me a bunch of RIR pullets :D

Back
Top Bottom