Americaunas not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pipit, Aug 2, 2007.

1. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    I got a couple of Americaunas, 4 Buff Orpingtons and two Rhode Island Reds in mid February. The buffs and RIRs are laying but the Americaunas are not. Is there something wrong with them or does it just take longer for this breed to mature?[​IMG]

2. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    WOW! Right after posting this, I went out to check the coop and found a green egg on the ground! Now I just have to figure out which of the two laid it. COOL![​IMG]

3. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    [​IMG] Yay!

My Americaunas and Easter Eggers aren't laying yet. [​IMG] I might have heard that they do take longer to start laying...?

4. janet2802

janet2802 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    I am waiting for my girls too. How old are your Americaunas?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think they all take about the same time to start laying eggs. It depends on their source though on how quickly they start to lay. I think a l of show quality birds lay later than hatchery ones because show birds are hatched from eggs chosen for quality, not the sheer fact there are now eggs to be hatched and sold.

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    familyofchickens? your ameraucana is 4 months old. that is the reason that she isnt laying

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Mine will be 21 weeks this weekend....or there abouts....and nothing yet! I want green eggs too!!
    I DO like green eggs and Ham, I do, I do....Sam I am!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by