americaunas on order

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sherrihargrove, Dec 26, 2014.

1. sherrihargrove

sherrihargrove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    I just bought 12 pullets and 2 cocks will be shipped 1/28 cannot wait to have this breed. I find the blue eggs interesting. this why i got so many. I m hoping to breed them. I also have 2 black Australorps hens and 1 male for the same reason.this is our first year as chicken farmers so we are excited to see how this goes.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Where are you getting your Ameraucanas from? If they are coming from any major hatchery other than Meyer, which sells Blue Ameraucanas, then they will be Easter Eggers and not true Ameraucanas, and some of your eggs will likely be green or even some other color rather than blue. Many hatcheries incorrectly market their Easter Eggers under the label Ameraucana (often misspelled Americana or Americauna). If you are not familiar with the difference, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers. There's nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They good layers and are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves there colored eggs. But since they are hybrids produced by crossing true Ameraucanas with other breeds, they will not breed true.

3. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    I got them from Ideal Poultry farms in central texas.

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Ideal Poultry incorrectly markets them as Ameraucanas, but they are actually Easter Egger as opposed to true Ameraucanas. I've ordered some of my Easter Eggers over the years from Ideal myself, knowing that I was actually getting EEs rather than true Ameraucanas. You will get lots of nice colored eggs from them.

5. sherrihargrove

Oct 17, 2014
    thanks cause that's what I really wanted in the first place. How can they say these are pure breeds if they are not?

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I like Ideal's birds and service, but like most hatcheries, they are more concerned with selling chickens than they are with truth in advertising. Dunlap Hatchery, which is my all time favorite hatchery, does the same thing with their EEs, except they incorrectly label their EEs as Araucanas instead of Ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by