Americaunas or EE? Boys or Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zonoma, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Meet Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader (Vader and Tarkin for short, respectively). When I acquired these ladies, I was told they were Americaunas. Real ones and "not that hatchery stock, either". Mostly hoping for a confirmation on that.

Tarkin:
    [​IMG]

Vader:
    [​IMG]

Now meet Daphne and Velma. When I purchased these two, I was told "Oh yes! They're Araucaunas because they have green legs." [​IMG]
    Obviously I didn't believe THAT because I'd done enough homework to realize that these were only EEs but since they were so 'cute' and had pea combs and green legs- indicating a good chance of colored eggs, I bought them anyway. Her coop seemed pretty clean and birds healthy even if they weren't what she thought they were. I feel pretty good about Daphne. Velma worries me, though. I think she's about 16 weeks old and seems so... roo'ish. Ginormous legs and, though I don't see pointy saddle feathers, her hackle feathers are like tiny little knives. Thoughts?

Daphne
    [​IMG]

Velma (or is this Fred)?
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    All of them are beautiful EE pullets.

3. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    They all look like girls from what I can tell from the pictures. Did you mean to ask if they were Ameraucanas or EEs, instead of Americaunas? From what I understand Americauna is just another name for what I would just call an Easter Egger.

4. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Happy Chooks: Really? Even Vader? Her earlobes are red, her eyes are the right color, what did I miss?? I was so hoping for a chance at BLUE eggs instead of green and teal![​IMG]

Little One: Yes. I suppose I did.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Here's a link to Ameraucana color variations: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html Check here to see if they match... I have an EE, but don't know enough about Ameraucanas to say for certain what yours are. Good Luck! (I thought I was getting an Ameraucana also, but ended up with an EE.) [​IMG]

6. Zonoma

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Those pictures were MOST helpful. Thank you. I guess I'll just enjoy my EEs - all 8 of them. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, even Vader. She looks like she's getting close to laying. Even with EE's, you could still get blue eggs.

Look at the Ameraucana link that Little One posted. It shows the accepted colors for pure Ameraucana's.

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Hens

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 And yes, Vader looks like she's almost ready to lay.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your seller straight up lied to you [​IMG] Those are some pretty girls but they're Easter Eggers and obviously hatchery based telling by color too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by