Americaunas...sexing questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cabincreations, Mar 27, 2017.

1. cabincreations

cabincreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    I have two Americaunas in with my easter eggers and I am hoping they are a hen and a rooster...but I am not sure. They are somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks old

Here are the pics of the one I suspect might be a rooster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I am hoping perhaps a hen?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The second bird is male, with that red leakage coming through on the wings.

I'm thinking the first one is male also. can we get comb shots of them both?

3. cabincreations

Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks for the input! I hope they are not both males! lol! The one that I thought was a male has an almost rose comb....the one I thought was a female has a single comb. I will try and get pics tomorrow

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. JK Farms

JK Farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Tennessee
    You can't tell by their combs. I have a hen that has a comb as big as a roosters but she lays eggs so ok now it's a female. When you grab them put one finger between their legs with them facing towards you. You will feel a bone and if you feel like they're fused together they aren't but the bones are super close it's a rooster if you feel a space in between the bones it's a hen. Does that make sence?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can tell by combs, when you combine them with the age of the bird. A mature hen should have a large, plump, red comb, but a young pullet under 4 months doesn't. Age is the key when using a comb to determine gender.

I'm not sure there's a difference in spacing between pubic bones when the birds are this young? Since a pullet of 8 weeks would not be laying yet, would her bones already be spreading? I'll have to check when I hatch some sex links.....

6. cabincreations

Mar 12, 2015
    I think this one might be a hen

[​IMG]

And here is a shot of both. Top is too bottom may be hen?
    [​IMG]

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Look at the new hackle feathers; males' will be pointy, females rounded. Combs are tricky on EEs and Ameracaunas, I think, when they are young. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by