Americaunas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rebeccahorse, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    When do they stop laying for winter. Do they usually stop earlier than other breeds or are mine just weird.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Are they real purebred Ameraucana? If they are they will be an infrequent layer over the winter.

If they where sold to you using the spelling you used then they are Easter eggers (EE's) At that point there is no telling unless you know what they are crossed with.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two purebred blue Ameraucanas and so far, they are laying very consistently. I'll let you know as we go through winter with mine-they were hatched April 20 this year.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My EEs are all on strike right now. Some are coming into moult and others just finishing up their moult. When they moult it is usually several months before you get eggs again.

My Ameraucana are just kicking back into lay and we just had a snow storm, so I wouldn't say they're unreliable although they do tend to lay when they feel like it and mine are very broody, so they usually don't lay very long and are ready to sit. I am hoping some of my new pullets come into lay soon and are less broody than they're moms.

Jody

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    My EE has been the only one laying ever since october, when my banty cochin went into a molt, after being broody. This week we have got 6 eggs.

EDIT: I believe that this is because she has some buff brahma in her. She has feathers in between her toes, and is very heavy for an ameraucana. Also, her coloring looks like a silver ameraucana and a buff brahma. Brahmas are hardy during heat and cold. So with EE's, I guess it just depends whats in them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  6. DougD

DougD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    If you keep at least 14 hours of light in the coup it will help prevent them from stopping.

Probably the best thing to do is maintain the amount of light equivalent to the longest day
    of the year where you live. (or as close to it as practical)

No less than 14 hours and no less than the first day of fall.

Once chickens sense the days getting too short many breeds will slow down or stop laying.

7. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    The amount of light does work. I'm in Wisconsin, we have about 18 inches of snow. 26 girls (half Americauna) and we get anywhere from a 12 to 18 per day.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have 16 hens that are of laying age and I am getting 12 eggs per day now. 5 buff orps, 1 dominique, 3 red stars, 2 cochins, 1 black australorp and 4 e.e. Except for the bl. austr. and 3 red stars the others all hatched the first of April. I keep the lights on a timer from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. now.

9. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    My Ameraucanas stopped laying 3 weeks ago in what should be their prime. I think the weather change did it. The lights on a timer don't seem to help. Now my brown leghorns have slowed too. My brown egg layers are the most reliable now, but I'm down to 10-12 eggs/day from 30+ before.

These eggs are uber-expensive and I'm not sure how long my wife will let me pour money into non-layers. We're really starting to appreciate the value of huge store-bought eggs at $1.50/dozen after a go at 'growing our own.' LOL

Makes me think I shouldn't gripe at the $3.00+/gallon that milk is going for.
    PC

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Eggs here are $2/dozen for plain old white eggs, not cage-free/organic/brown/whatever eggs. AND milk is about $5/gal so if you're really paying those prices, you're getting a bargain!
    My Ameraucana girls are laying every day even now. I'm very pleased with them, but quite surprised they haven't slowed down, actually. They could stop any day, however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by