americona leg swolen and hot, what should I do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BST ranch, Sep 24, 2011.

1. BST ranch

BST ranch New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm New to owning chickens... so this morning I find my I think Americona that's about6 months old limping on one leg. Her left leg is swollen and hot to the touch around her ankle area. I don't see any open sores or cuts. She is eating and drinking but tries to just lay around. Any response would be great full

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like an infection, have you looked on the bottom of her foot for the blk scab that usually means bumble foot? if that is okay then maybe she hurt her ankle when jumping down from roost or some place else, you can also give her a baby aspirin dissolved in water for pain, and soaks in warm epsom salt water might help with swelling. but I would try to get her on an antibiotic as quick as possible. I'm not sure which antibiotic would be best but hopefully someone else will come in and help with that an maybe more suggestions. All the best. [​IMG]

3. BST ranch

BST ranch New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks for the advise,I separated her and she seems to be doing better the swelling seems to be going down and she is more active. Thanks again for the advise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by