1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

americuana chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tylerchickens, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tylerchickens

tylerchickens New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    North Alabama
    I just bought my first americuana from tractor supply i have 13 and wanted to know how to tell which are male and which are female. they are 2 to 3 weeks old the all have most of the wing feathers and some are starting to put on tail feathers can someone help me that has raised lots of the "easter egg chickens"

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    this is and age old question, and unfortunately there is no answer. there simply is no way to tell if it is male or female until you get either a crow or an egg. sorry.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Naw, you can tell sooner than that. About 8 to 10 week when the combs and waddle grow larger and red while the others stay small and dull pink, then you'll know. Give the roosters 6 to 8 more week and they make good fryers.

4. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Well I couldn't tell. I ended up with a rooster named Anya and a hen named Horus.

5. tylerchickens

tylerchickens New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    North Alabama
    some of there wing feathers are long and when the have them by there side they reach almost to there tell and some of the wings look short and stubby could that tell which is a hen and which is a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by