americuanas???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sycth, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Sycth

Sycth New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    i am new to all this and got these 3 americuana hens from someone. i am wondering if i got what i paid for. do these look like americuanas to you??? do they look like females??? do they look healthy to you?? ive had them about 3 or 4 weeks and they were suppose to be a week old when i bought them. any advice or comments would be great. i am building a chicken tractor right now its 8x4x3 with a raised coop thats 3x4x1.5 is this a good size. i thought the white one was a male because of the tail but after reading this site today i guess i dont know what im talking about. also what are the color patterns?

http://i.imgur.com/Lz8caWk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HHfmqhE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VSLJZe1.jpg

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You have three cute Easter eggers. No one's screaming rooster at this point, but the black and white is a common color pattern for males. I'd keep an eye on that bird, and post pics again when they're 6-8 weeks to confirm.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 on all counts - [​IMG]

As to whether you got what you paid for - that depends - were they sold to you as Ameraucanas or Americanas? I realize that seems like splitting hairs, but here is the reason for why it matters - if they were sold to you as Ameraucanas they were being represented as pure bred birds, which they are not. If the seller said "Americana" then, yes, you did get what you paid for - in a way. Americana is a common purposeful misspelling of the breed name mentioned above as a way to misrepresent what you DID get (Easter Eggers) which are a mixed breed bird that has Ameraucana/Araucana parentage - as the pure bred version. If what you are looking for is pretty colorful eggs, and pretty chickens - EE are great. If you were lead to believe you were purchasing pure bred birds that you could potentially use for breeding/showing pure bred birds, you were somewhat taken.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Post some pictures in a few weeks. I've had white easter egger hens before, but a majority of them are male.

5. Sycth

Sycth New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    thanks for the quick replies i will be calling them Easter Eggers from now on. i feel like the white one is a male because s/he feels stronger when handled. i would love to keep a rooster but its not possible in my location so ive kinda been stressing about this. Whats going to be the first sure sign? if i give him away will the two hens be lonely with just the 2 of them i was originally planning on 3-4 chickens but im also worried about introducing new birds i dont want no fighting.....

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

They are Easter Eggers, and all look like pullets for now.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! I, too, think that they are all Easter Egger pullets for now. However, I'm not as certain on the white on- its stance is a bit roosterish in my opinion.

8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Last year I got hatchery EE's that look like your two brown ones. This year I purchased two more hatchery birds and one, definitely a young hen, looks like your white one. I've also bred a clutch of my own and both sexes were the mostly white color. At this point all look like hens to me, but it could change.

9. Sycth

Sycth New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    what originally made me think male was i noticed the two darker ones had what i would call a fan tail and the white ones tail was more pointy.

10. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What initially seemed strange to me was in the beginning the white hatchery bird looked to be getting one rooster feather so I was sure I had a roo. But then she somehow lost it and the rest of her feathers came in as hen feathers and now she is definitely feminine looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by