Ameruacana hen bleeding from vent and listless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by idiganthro, Mar 13, 2011.

1. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    One of my Ameruacana hens was bleeding fairly heavily from her vent this morning. She had a few inches of "intestine-like" material, I'm assuming her oviduct, protruding as well. She was crouched, not moving, and let me walk right up and pick her up. She was one of my most skittish chickens and never let me handle her, so that was unusual. There was blood in the nesting box (but no blue egg) and blood drops around the perimeter of the coop. I opted to put her down, but now I am questioning myself for doing this. I had never previously had such an issue in almost 2 years of keeping chickens.
    From looking at past posts I suspect a severely prolapsed oviduct. I noticed one of my other hens, that allows me to handle her, has a small red protrusion from her vent- like a small cherry. She seems fine otherwise and is acting completely normal.
    They get fed a laying mash, oyster shell and kitchen scraps, mostly fruit and veggie scraps. Is there a condition that could cause more than one hen to prolapse, or is it just coincidence?
    And, most of all, did I do the wrong thing by putting the bleeding hen down?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    first let me say so sorry for your loss, I have never had to deal with this issue yet but have read many a post about others that have and they can go both ways, some have success with treatment and others no matter what they do it doesn't help and they end up having to put the hen down. Sounds like your hen was pretty bad, and you had to make a judgement call, don't second guess yourself, you were there and saw first hand what she was like, I will say you did the right thing.. now your other hen that has this protrusion the size of a small cherry needs help getting it back inside or it will dry up which is not good.. I just read another poster talking about making a paste out of sugar and water and putting that on the prolaspe and it should shrink back inside.. also some folks use Prep H and also some have used honey with success, so it's up to you, but I think I'd try the sugar first. clean her bottom real good maybe even a warm soak then dry her off good and apply the treatment which ever you choose, I'd keep her away from the rest of the flock though because they will pick on her and make it a lot worse.. maybe bring her inside and I think this is probably a coincidence. again i am sorry you had to put your hen down. It's a hard thing to do most of us have been there. [​IMG]

3. idiganthro

idiganthro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thanks for your kind words. I re-checked my other girl that night and everything was fine. Perhaps I was a bit too paranoid, or she was stressing from being flipped over! Anyway, I hope not to see this issue again too soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by