Amerucana or EE

Shawna89

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Stamping Ground, Ky
78894_ash.jpg

He came from a breeder, he's got the beard and muffs i think?

Quote:
EEs come with all different comb types, colors, and sizes

Actually once you get into the single combs you're looking simply at mutts. If EE's came in all types then everything not purebred is an EE
wink.png

But yes, he's an EE, just crossed out to something else making him a single combed brown egg carrier.

Quote:
EEs come with all different comb types, colors, and sizes

Actually once you get into the single combs you're looking simply at mutts. If EE's came in all types then everything not purebred is an EE
wink.png

But yes, he's an EE, just crossed out to something else making him a single combed brown egg carrier.

Not true. An Easter Egger is simply a bird with Ameraucana or Araucana descent. While it is true that the Pea comb is closely linked to the Blue egg gene, it is still entirely possible to get a bird with another comb that lays blue eggs. So yes, an Easter Egger can look like anything, and as long as you can prove it originated from one of the blue egg laying breeds, it still bares the name Easter Egger.

Quote:
wink.png

Also, I'm sorry but if I bred a blue layer x brown, got a green layer, then took that x brown, got a bunch of brown layers - I'm calling them mutts. Yes their grandparents and the such were EE's but they essentially are more of a mutt. But, to each their own description. I think anything with parents carrying at least one blue gene is an EE, but if all its brothers and sisters or a majority of them don't lay green or blue eggs, I'd call it a mutt.

And yes, single combed birds can lay colored eggs but it is rare.

Quote:
wink.png

Also, I'm sorry but if I bred a blue layer x brown, got a green layer, then took that x brown, got a bunch of brown layers - I'm calling them mutts. Yes their grandparents and the such were EE's but they essentially are more of a mutt. But, to each their own description. I think anything with parents carrying at least one blue gene is an EE, but if all its brothers and sisters or a majority of them don't lay green or blue eggs, I'd call it a mutt.

And yes, single combed birds can lay colored eggs but it is rare.

Considering the term "Easter Egger" is just a coined name for a cross-bred chicken, There is no such thing as "More of a mutt". They are mutts. Mutts have no standards, no set regulations. In my book, "Easter Egger" means they can lay All egg color varieties, regardless of whether their parents carry Blue egg genes or not. If it originally came from an Araucana or Ameraucana, than it is an EE. That's how I've been taught. You may think differently, but that's my 2 cents on things
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom