amerucana's (SP?)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roosters97, Feb 17, 2008.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I am looking in to this breed how do ya'll think a bout them,do they lay well?what color eggs?what size eggs?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Very pretty birds, they lay green blue or pinkish eggs I believe - I think they're pretty good layers 5-6 eggs a week, large size.

3. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    ok thanks, is there any color of the breed that guarantee's blue eggs?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    the color eggs you get depend on where you got the birds, my niece and i got ours from a local fed store and they were listed as amerucuna(sp also) but more than likely are ee's' if you get them from somebody on this forum ie some of the moderators have amerucuna and some of the members have them, you will get blue eggs or green depending how you look at them, ee's will give a variety of colors green, blue, pink, red, olive, gold, white, brown and cream, it depends on what they crossed. they also come in bantam. standards lay large eggs.
    if you are wanting americuauna (i think i got the three spellings on here) i would get some eggs from some one here on the forum who will tell you what your actually getting.

5. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:i am talking to parkeVA about it!! i only want one for the green or blue eggs!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Let me help with the spelling. I think you're trying to spell AMERAUCANA. Hatcheries have sure confused everybody with their own misspellings. If you want Easter Eggers, almost every hatchery sells those, no matter what they're calling them. For true Ameraucanas, you will need to find a breeder and I know there are some here on BYC. I used to be one, but currently I am not breeding Ameraucanas.
    Ameraucanas and Araucanas both are supposed to lay eggs in the blue family, maybe blue-green sometimes but never pink or brown/tan. My girls lay pastel blue, but I no longer have my rooster. Actually, I only have one girl now, too, but will have a couple more soon.

7. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:so most of tem should lay green or blue?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they're true Ameraucanas, yes, you will get an egg in the blue or blue/green color family. With Easter Eggers, you wont know for sure till they lay and then it could be plain old brown or pinky-beige, not necessarily blue or green.

9. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    sorry i worded it wrong in my sentence ee's lay a variety of colors. [​IMG]
    i should have looked over what i typed more closely.
    to answer what you asked. so most of tem should lay green or blue?
    speckledhen wrote: Ameraucanas and Araucanas both are supposed to lay eggs in the blue family, maybe blue-green sometimes but never pink or brown/tan. My girls lay pastel blue
    thanks again speckeled hen for clearing things up. [​IMG]

10. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    bump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by