Amerucauna Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farm-gal91, Dec 15, 2012.

1. farm-gal91

farm-gal91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2012
    Any tips/ tricks on amerucauna sexing? I have always wondered how the hathceries do it and they are always right. I have a friend who just had chicks and there are 20+ of these little ones. Is the best way just to pick out 10 and hope for pullets? Anything you have had personally work well with sexing?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think Ameraucana sexing is much different from any other chick sexing. Hatcheries use vent sexing, which is supposed to be a really difficult and dangerous method to do on your own and requires an expert. Ameraucanas you can usually tell by 5 weeks, as with many other breeds. With Easter Eggers there are some color patterns to look out for, but with day-old Ameraucanas... I'm not sure you can tell at all that early. I'd make some sort of deal with your friend about what happens if you get roosters. Would you save some for breeding? Try to sell them? Process and eat some? "Rooster planning" is part of the process of straight run [​IMG]

3. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    If vent sexing is the only way to go I may just have to do that. I remember doing it with all of my ducks but chickens I have never had to do it.
    I am by no means an irresponsible chicken owner, so any unwanted rooster will go to a friend or relative in need of one or will be sold. I would rather go the easy rout and have all pullets if possible.
    Time to hit the books and practice at work! [​IMG]

4. my sunwolf

Wow, you've done it with ducks?? Were you accurate? Now I'm curious!

5. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    I have! They were fairly easy and very squirmy. Me and my partner vet did them and we were acurate! It was pretty self explanatory when we seen what we seen. I just don't see doing it with chickens, I mean they seem so fragile. I just got to come up with the courage and do it!

6. my sunwolf

Please let me (and others on the forum) know how it goes if you do it... and take pictures if you can. Sounds exciting. I hear that you can't do it with bantams because it can injure them, but never heard anything about standard size chickens.

7. farm-gal91

Sep 28, 2012
    I will do that! Yea, I deffinitly do not want to stress or injure them but I will have the Dr. I work with by my side to assist!
    Thanks for your help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by