Amherst Aviary Size

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Andrew Larson, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Andrew Larson

Andrew Larson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Is a 12 by 8 by 7ft. high a big enough space for a pair of Lady Amherst Pheasants?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My pen is 6x12x8 and it houses a trio just fine,but bigger is always better.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Andrew Larson

Andrew Larson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Are smaller pens a problem if you have jumpy pheasants because when you go in there they dont have anywhere to go? I take care of my boss' pheasants sometimes and his Firebacks freak out when I clean in there and I can't really move around well without them flying around.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If it's a wide open pen,yes they do seem a little jumpy.They need a place to hide.I lean a xmas tree in a corner,and pieces of plywood leaned on the side of their pen.it keeps them very calm.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. user66647

user66647 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    NYC
    No no no the whole purpose of keeping pheasants is to look at them, plywood and a christmas tree will be an eyesore, (no offense tony tk)

I would just heavily plant the aviary with all kinds of ornamental grasses and a few bushes. make sure none of them are poisnous though, also I would make the aviary twenty by fifteen feet long, it's best for the birds.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by