Amish egg basket or wire egg basket - which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 4, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A couple years ago I gave my DSD all (20+) of her grandmothers wicker baskets. Now I have nothing to collect eggs in [​IMG]

I like the looks of the amish egg baskets "buttocks baskets", but maybe the wire baskets are more practical?

Which do you prefer?

I need to order one. The pockets of my jacket just aren't getting it anymore, with both my pullets and hens laying.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Uhm hmmm... the problem is worse than I thought.

Go with the regular wire egg basket.

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have both and I much prefer the "buttocks" basket. I put a small towel in the bottom to cushion the eggs and keep them from rolling as much... it also helps preserve the life of the basket... much easier to wash the towel than the basket [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wire would be more sanitary, right? Can wash wire alot easier than wicker. Still, the wicker ones are soo pretty. [​IMG]

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is how I do it:

I go out to the coop...
    see a few eggs...
    put them in my coat pocket....
    fiddle around a few minutes...
    "Oh, I need to bring in some firewood while I'm out here!"....
    back in the house...
    reach into my pocket...

scoop out the scrambled eggs and throw the coat in the washer. Dang it!

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm having a hard time imagining what these buttocks baskets look like... [​IMG]

I do have a wicker basket I use, I personally don't like the wire, I've broken way more eggs in a wire basket I once had rather than by using the wicker one I have now.

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Go to your local goodwill. Chances are, they'll have more baskets than you can imagine... at least the ones I've shopped at always did.

8. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Yep, I actually found a cute wicker basket with a terry cloth liner that had an applique of a chicken on it! Too cute and a really lucky find and because of the liner, no broken eggs yet! Well, except the ones in my pocket when I just "run out to the coop for a minute". [​IMG]

9. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I forget alot and make scrambled eggs in my pocket. Lol but I refuse to carry a basket somebody might see me. I was thinking of making one out of a small tool box or tackle box. That way I would look more natural and manly. I hope LOL!

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hey, that sounds like me! [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by