1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amish fireplace

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    anyone have one and how are they? Are they worth the $$

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I googled reviews on line baout them, they said they are just not that efficient

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have heard not such great things about them.

4. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Consumer reports I belive did a review on them. Or was it another consumer review style place? Anyway they gave it a deffinent thumbs down. It is increadably inefficiant and a waste of money.

5. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    My MIL really wanted one of these last year..we researched up on side and down the other..a definite NO go..first of all, the only thing Amish is the cabinet around them and the heater is equal to a $40.00 heater from Lowes..if you want the look and just an occasional bit of spot heat then ..maybe..but for the money I don't think so..

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    thanks all

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Is this the one they advertise on TV? They are electric right? Don't waste your $! That whole "Amish" thing is such a gimmick!! They advertise it as Amish made, which the cabinet could be, but I'd be willing to bet there's a made in china sticker on it somewhere, and they say the Amish use them - Amish don't use electric [​IMG] They hardly put out any real amount of heat, and did I mention they're ELECTRIC [​IMG] [​IMG] You'll look ay your electric bill the month after you get it, and be like [​IMG] [​IMG] Do some more research, and find a stove/fireplace that is efficient & cost effective. Try craigslist - lots of stoves for sale on there... That's where we got ours last year. Perfect condition, and 1/4 the price of a new one [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I saw an ad for one of those in a magazine. The picture in the ad looked ridiculously fake to me. I doubt the authenticity and quality.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    There is no way Amish men would work alongside with women in the workshop. I dont think they allow it. And take a look at the hats, ever seen one wearing a cowboy hat????

Its bogus, that for sure!

10. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I don't know about the whole Amish thing but we bought an electric fireplace last year for $120 or so at Walmart. OMG that thing kicks out heat and looks pretty to boot. Now there is no way we could heat the house with it but it allows us to turn the heat way down downstairs and stay toasty in our bedroom....with ambiance no less! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by