1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amish Friendship Bread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Laskaland, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi. This is a "starter" bread. Someone gave me one years ago, and I wish I had saved the recipie.
    Anyone have a good one.
    Thank you
    Christina

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] I call my mother's starter her "other pet". As far as pets go, it makes better bread than any of mine do...

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Where is Nebagamon WI? Is that near Pewaukee? Lake Nebagamon?? I grew up in Milwaukee and we had a farm near Oconomowoc
    Christina

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Hi Christina! Lake Nebagamon is a tiny little community about 20 min south of Superior Wisconsin [​IMG] I was born and raised just outside of Madison, but moved up here for college and never left. I think its kind of funny that I now live in a smaller town than the one I grew up in [​IMG] When I was a kid, I didnt think that was possible! Oh well. Anyway, my mother makes some mean poppy seed muffins out of her starter along with about 10 other things [​IMG]

6. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I received a starter last srping. It really is amazing how versatile it is. I've been putting my starters in the freezer & grabbing on when I have time. Here's a link to a website with many different variations on the original recipe. We love the coconut/ chocolate chip.

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My starter has developed a really nice taste over these months of aging and growing.

I use raw sugar, raw milk from jersey cows and unbleached bread flour.

Here is the starter this morning. See that line of hooch?

[​IMG]

Here is the mix after I fed it. It will rise over the day and fill the jar.

[​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

man i had some of that a longggggggg time ago ,, then someone gave me some,, and my current gf at the time killed it [​IMG]
    that bread is as good as "monkey bread" !!

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Go to my blog link and start a batch now. In 11 days you can bake with it. By Christmas it will have developed an awesome flavor and holiday treats will be amazing.

You can cheat and add 1 package of yeast dissolved in warm water to the milk, sugar, flour and get a jump in your starter.

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hehehehe ,,, Thankies M.P. ,, i wasnt sure how long it took,, i know if ya do it too soon its yucky,,, bet i'll have some started by tomorrow [​IMG]
    do you guys send to others to start?,, thats how i got it ,, its like an eatable chain letter hahaha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by