Amish-made coop questions

Buckaroohens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Chester County, PA
Hi there.
After much deliberation about what type of coop to build and how to do it, I think I might actually be purchasing an amish-made coop. I have an opportunity to get one at a fairly decent price locally and I think it might be our best option at this point. I had wanted to coat our diy coop's floor with Blackjack rubberized roofing sealant to ensure the longevity of the floor and to keep out as many bugs and whatnot as possible. Do you think I should still use the Blackjack in the Amish coop? Also, I'm totally paranoid about ventilation. The coop has adequate ventilation, but to be on the safe side, I'd like to add more. I was thinking of adding a vent or two near the top, close to the roof line. Is it possible to do that without compromising the coop's construction? Also, what type of vent would be best? The coop is 4x6. Thanks in advance!
frow.gif

Hi there.
After much deliberation about what type of coop to build and how to do it, I think I might actually be purchasing an amish-made coop. I have an opportunity to get one at a fairly decent price locally and I think it might be our best option at this point. I had wanted to coat our diy coop's floor with Blackjack rubberized roofing sealant to ensure the longevity of the floor and to keep out as many bugs and whatnot as possible. Do you think I should still use the Blackjack in the Amish coop? Also, I'm totally paranoid about ventilation. The coop has adequate ventilation, but to be on the safe side, I'd like to add more. I was thinking of adding a vent or two near the top, close to the roof line. Is it possible to do that without compromising the coop's construction? Also, what type of vent would be best? The coop is 4x6. Thanks in advance!
frow.gif
Do you have a link or pics of this coop?...'Amish made' could mean anything.

I have an Amish made coop and I did cut a few extra vents into it (the company would do it for me but it cost extra and I figured it would be easy to do myself.) I also made a screen door for the summer. It worked out great. I love my coop.

Those look pretty nice....decent size, 4x8 maybe?

Wonders if the roof ridge is a vent...and the eaves?

Wonders how the windows open....like awnings to keep rain out?

And what is that 'door' up high on the one side?

Yeah, why not Blackjack the floor. It will protect the floor, and seal up the floor to wall seam. But, you probably have to wait for it to warm up, before you'll want to mess with it. One thing you could do with this coop, is build it a hardware clothed screen door, for the warmer months. Just get some 1X4" and 1X6" pine, build a frame and sandwich some hardware cloth in it. Like the pic below. That'll help in the warmer months.

900x900px-LL-d3fba887_55557_img_1363.jpeg

Thanks for the ideas!

Here are some pictures of the coop I'm looking to get. I know I will be adding vents and most likely covering the floor with the Blackjack rubber roof stuff. I will be putting hardware cloth where it is needed as well. I also will be getting extra latches/locks to add as predator protection.

The size is listed as 4x6. I haven't seen these in person yet, but plan to as soon as they inform me when their new stock comes in.

Not sure about the roof vent or eaves.

I'm thinking the high door with latch is a vent. I'm hoping it's already covered in hardware cloth. If not, I will be doing that for sure.

I also don't know how the windows open. However, I will be attaching a hoop style run to that side of the coop and I plan on covering that half of the run with some sort of material to keep that portion of the run dry. Since the window is right there, it would also prevent a lot of rain from coming in via the window.

The size is listed as 4x6. I haven't seen these in person yet, but plan to as soon as they inform me when their new stock comes in.

Not sure about the roof vent or eaves.

I'm thinking the high door with latch is a vent. I'm hoping it's already covered in hardware cloth. If not, I will be doing that for sure.

I also don't know how the windows open. However, I will be attaching a hoop style run to that side of the coop and I plan on covering that half of the run with some sort of material to keep that portion of the run dry. Since the window is right there, it would also prevent a lot of rain from coming in via the window.
I seen one similar and the high door w/a latch was an egg door

Back
Top Bottom