1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amost had a heart attack today.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 1ChickenKeeper, Oct 10, 2015.

1. 1ChickenKeeper

1ChickenKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Oh man. I could've lost my whole flock today. [​IMG]
    Was walking upstairs to hitch the laundry basket... looked outside...
    Saw our Backyard GATE OPEN [​IMG]Saw a BIG GERMAN SHEPHERD near the fence [​IMG]
    Looked everywhere for the chickens... couldn't FIND them [​IMG]

Ran outside, grabbed something to protect my chickens... shut the gate immediately...
    Looked all around the yard; and finally, you know what?

They were tucked in some shrubbery clucking at me, confused why I was running around the yard like a madwoman. [​IMG]

Gave me a heart attack, it was so scary. Had I not noticed then... that dog may have made quick work of the flock.

My random story for today. [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yikes! I'm glad the flock is alright! They're natural instincts sure kick in where there is danger. That sure would have freaked me out too.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm sure your chickens got a good laugh!

Seriously, it was very lucky you noticed the open gate! We had the same thing happen about a year ago, only it was a pit bull and I didn't see it until it was violently shaking one of my chickens! My poor girl was virtually "skinned alive." She spent about a month in the house and another six months in a separate coop with one of her friends for company. She finally recovered and rejoined the flock, but still has patches where her feathers never came back. About eight months after the attack, she finally started laying again.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @1ChickenKeeper I'm glad your flock was ok, that was a close call!

@Sjisty you must have done a heck of a job nursing your girl back to health. Glad she made it.

5. 1ChickenKeeper

1ChickenKeeper Out Of The Brooder

My Chicken Keeping Days would be over if my whole flock was killed today.

6. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Good that the chickens were ok!
    I did that yesterday.. so I walked down stairs to lets my girls out ( I saw that they were out i just checked on them anyways ) and i counted them as i always do and I found 2 instead of 3 [​IMG]. I was looking fanatically! I couldn't find her!! and where was she? She was was in the bushes. what a relief!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would have had a heart attack on the spot- glad things turned out okay.

8. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Just wanted to ask do you know how to get the extra writing space like Mountain Peeps is Please vist Curent Movies Ect

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    That certainly does sound terrifying!
    I'm so glad they are okay.

If a dog approached my flock, I'm afraid they wouldn't run and hide. They are so used to my (chicken friendly) dogs, they probably wouldn't even move if any other dog came around. :/

10. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    My chicken has been siting on the roof of their coop when it comes night. I'm always worried since we have owls, raccoons but the one thing I worried the most is the COYOTES!!! they come around ALOT and once tried to steal one of my neighbors little dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by