Amount of grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lisa Arbour, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Lisa Arbour

Lisa Arbour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I have 3 three-week old babies. I want to give them some chick grit so they can have treats. I checked on the forum as to how much to offer, and there's a lot of good information, but not actual amounts. Can someone tell me a suggested amount (such as a tablespoon at a time/per day/etc.) for 3 babies?

2. RainyPeeps

RainyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I also have 3 weeks old babies right now. I don't know of the exact amount either. I know I just leave a dish of it out in the run for my big girls and they regulate themselves by eating it when they need it. I suppose the chicks would do that too. I have given my chicks a crushed hard boiled yolk a few times so far and I just mix their grit in with it so they would eat it at the same time. Also, I give them a smaller sized grit then I do the big girls. It's chick grit at my feed store. Good luck!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Just put a dish of it in there for them and leave it, they'll take what they need.

4. RainyPeeps

RainyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I haven't been leaving the dish in their box because they will inevitably poop in it and get shaving in it and/or knock it over. Then I just have something else for me to clean :) I also sprinkle some grit on the towel we put them on when we take them out of their box for bonding time. I feel that since I'm not feeding them treats every day that the opportunities I am giving them to eat grit is enough to meet their needs.

5. Lisa Arbour

Lisa Arbour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks, everybody. I wound up mixing just a very small amount (maybe a teaspoon) with their starter feed in the food dispenser, then sprinkled a little around the platform that the dispenser sits on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by