Amount of light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So I was wondering whats the right amount of light. We normally dont open windows or let freerange until about 11 am or so. which means they lose so light and of egg production dropped. I also dont want the girls feeling pressured to lay eggs. So question is how much light should they get, for their health. I dont want sick birds.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Natural light for hens is the most healthy. Some people in order to boost egg production feel that 12 to 14 hrs a day is good. The extra hours are said to be best in the morning. That way the light does not go out suddenly when they are getting on the roost. They do not see well. I feel that they need the rest time from laying. I did add light one year when I had young chicks. I was using it to keep them warm. They layed early but had problems with prolapse. I do not give extra light at this time. I do not plan on extra heat here until it is well below 20's. My coop is not drafty but does have ventilation. gloria Jean

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks I was going to only use lighting when it got really cold. I'm in Ohio and the lows right now are between 32 and 35.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Do you mean that the chickens do not have light until 11am?

And, they only have sunlight?

And, you are in a part of the country where the sun is now setting at about 6pm?

They only have 7 hours of light each day?

You should be able to keep them alive with that little light and the opportunity to feed for those few hours each day. That would be about it.

Steve

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The light comes on at 5am. It is light here naturally by 7:30am then the sun sets at about 7pm. So the artificial light is only used for about 2 and 1/2 hours. For someone who does not let the chicks out until 11 am you would need the extra light from 5am until 11am. Gloria Jean

6. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    If your chickens are kept in the dark until 11:00 I would expect them to stop laying altogether soon. Egg production decreases as the daylight hours get shorter.

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Quote:I agree!

8. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    wow!....i did not know chickens needed that much light for health and egg production. looks like we've positioned our coop and pen in a bad spot for winter. i'll have to let them out for longer periods and hope for the best. shooty shoot....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by