Amount of sleep for 9 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vickilynn45, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    First time owning chicks and a worried mom here: Today they seem to be sleeping a bit more and I'm wondering if that is normal? They seemed more active the last few days, but yesterday we had some flying and bumping going on lol. Is it like human babies where they just have more active days than others, or something I should be worried about. I'm trying not to worry about much, but I didn't think I'd get so attached. :( Temp is around 88/90 in their brooder, and they have plenty of clean food and water.

2. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    When my chicks were young it seemed they were always laying down when I went to check on them. If it wasn't for the fact that the food and water dissappeared I would have thought that something was wrong also.I did move my light so that there was a cooler side to the brooder. I also started to feed them {chick feed} by hand at times to get them used to me.

3. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks! They are up now running around, scratching, preening, pecking, and chirping away- all except for the smallest who doesn't seem to grow much and at times is active, but other times she just stands around looking out of it. :( Poor baby.

4. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    Every time I check on mine they are sleeping, it feels like they sleep constantly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by