amount of space chickens need????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Everett500, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Everett500

Everett500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    would 10 full sized chickens be able to live in a coop that was 20 square feet with a fenced in area for them to roam which was 125+ square feet.... Trying to figue out demesions for my coop.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would never go with that small of a space per bird in a housing, but some manage to make it work. Your odds of it working (without winter time issues of pecking/bullying) are vastly improved if you're in an area that doesn't get winter weather...where the birds are out from dawn till dusk every day. I can tell you that I have 10 birds in a 6 x 12 shelter, and it feels a bit crowded to me, although 8 or 9 months a year it seems quite roomy.

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Coop: 4 square feet per bird, run, 10 square feet per bird. You'll never wish you had less room!

4. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine. Two square feet per bird is an international standard. Currently, I house 65 birds per 8' x 16' mobile hen house, which is two square feet per bird. They will often exceed that stocking density by choice. I know an organic chicken farm that has 3,000 hens stocked at 1.75 birds per square foot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by