Amoxicillin treatment for early bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by atimme, Aug 2, 2010.

1. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Has anyone tried treating early bumblefoot with Amoxicillin? I also have Duramycin, would either one work for early signs? It's too early to cut into the foot at this point as no kernel has formed, so hitting it with antibiotics? hmm 250 mg for ten days is what the vet supply is saying, I'm planning on crushing it and feeding it in a treat and having them all wear the indoorrducks.com shoes since they live on concrete. Any thoughts? We sweep the concrete daily but the coop has shavings which could have made a cut. Now I have three early bumblefoot cases in the flock, and as a preventative measure I think I'm buying them all a pair of shoes. sad

2. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    I don't have enough experience with chicks to say for sure but I would appreciate it if you could keep us updated with your results. I'm a bit on the squeamish side but would be able to do the surgery if necessary. I would love for it not to be necessary!!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks! There's a really awesome fish store downtown, I'll go check it out if the Amoxicillin doesn't do anything fantastic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by