Amoxitab 50 MG??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justusnak, Oct 21, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Ok, I need some advice. I have these tablets. Amoxitab 50 mg. I got them from the vet, for my Pomeranian. She weigh 10 pounds...and I know I am a bad mommy...we didnt finish her meds.
    So, anyways...we heve some left over...and I was wondering...can I give these to the injured hen that the neighbors daughter brought to me? If so...how much, and how?? Dogs are easy...hide it in a hot dog. For my Pom, it said 1 tablet every 12 hrs. Like I said, she is 10 pounds. Anyone???

2. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Are they scored tablets???

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

No....they are not scored. I am sure I can pretty much cut them in half....or crush them and add to water? But how much, and would it be safe for her? I want to stop the infection BEFORE it sets in....if possible. I know there is a high probability she will get infection....being that her innards were hanging out. I just dont want to hurt her any more than she already is.

4. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hi Deb-
    Here is some info I found online about amoxicillin, I don't know if amoxi-tabs are slightly different???? I could not find anything that says it was to be given to a bird. It just stated stuff for Cats, dogs and fish!
    But below it says it (amoxicillin) is safe for a pigeon.
    I will keep on looking for you though, GOOD LUCK!!!

Antibiotic/antimicrobials
    Name: Amoxicillin Trihydrate (Amoxil, Amoxi-drops, many others.)
    Description: Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic analog of penicillin with a broad range of bacterial activity against many gram + and gram - bacteria.
    Usage: Amoxicillin can be used with any bacterial infection showing susceptibility to the drug.
    Adverse reactions: None seen with any frequency.
    Dosage: 25 - 50 mg/Bird divided daily or 1500 - 3000 mg/gallon of water for 10 - 14 days.
    Comments: Amoxicillin is very effective, well absorbed, safe, and well tolerated in the pigeon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by