Amphibian People !! How does a frog die?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lunachick, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have Finn, my pond frog since 2 yrs ago when he was a tadpole. The last few days he's been lethargic and now he's floating on his back, baring his spotted belly. [​IMG] He's still breathing... it doesn't look good at all. Should I just leave him alone? Let nature takes it's course? I feel bad for him, but I don't know what to do, or not do. Is this just natural for him? poor guy.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I certainly don't know anything about frogs .....I'm not sure...Have you tried turning him over?...maybe it's just his time... I do have pond goldfish tho that have lived for years and years...maybe someone else knows frogs...

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's how Whiskers, my Xenopus, went...She started doing the back float...
    I'm sorry.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    If you have any flowers try burying her there once the time has come...

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Acidy water?

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Is he in a pond or fish tank? Changed the water lately? Could be high in nitrates or ammonia, both are detrimental to fish, frogs, turtles, etc.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if there is plenty of food and oxygen in his water,,, he's probably just reached his time. i would leave him be,,and let him "provide" for the other animals around your pond ,, and if in a tank,,, i would just take him outside after dark,,and still let him "provide" for others.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    He's in a natural pond, no fertilizers used, he wintered over last year, I think it's his time to go too. Every time I go out to check him out he's floating, but I went out a little while ago, and he let me flip him over, and he was a little spunky....[​IMG] i just hope it's not going to be a long time that he does this.

Thanks for your replies.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A large number of frog ailments cause kidney damage, which causes bloating (ascites), which can lead to floating oddly before death. It can take a fair while, though [​IMG] From your description I seriously doubt he will recover. Personally I'd be inclined to help him out with a hatchet or shovel if he seems like he's uncomfortable, but it depends on how he seems and on your personal convictions.

If this is a bullfrog he is not at the maximum lifespan for the species or anything like that - some places, bullfrogs don't sexually mature til age 2 - but of course there are any number of things in nature that can shorten lifespan. I would doubt it is from anything you did; just a part of being a frog.

Condolences,

Pat, from an amphibian ecology lab back in grad school (though I only dealt with tadpoles, myself, and not as my main study organisms)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by