Amphibians vs Retiles

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well Im just going to go ahead and recycle this post.

I now have two empty 10 gals as well as an empty 20 gal tanks, and I hate having my room devoid of the nighttime noises of either water moving and/or my little ratties moving around.

Ive brought my choices down to two animals, and im not sure what to pick.

Fire Belly toad / newt or a crested gecko?

((( Please know that I am not being lazy, ive done my research, but keep getting different answers)))

So, I wouldnt might if some people filled me in on these two or others like them.

If it doesnt need to be handled ( the frogs and newt) no problem.
If it does thats not a problem either, as long as it is under 1 1/2 hours a day.

Which would you say is the least expensive to care for and create a habitat for?

I already have with me ( and I know that some of it wont be used ):

Rocks
Fake Plants
Small stone hut
heat lamp
Hygrometer
Thermometer

But, im not exactly sure what else I could need for the habitat ( besides food and water xD )

If I go with the fire bellies, what could I do for filtration in the water?

Im very sorry if some of these questions have already been asked and answered, thank you all so much for your patience!

Last edited:
I have a bullfrog tadpole that I can't keep...
hit.gif

My mom hates frogs...traumatic childhood experience...
lol.png

I'm not sure what do do with it though...do you know if you casn ship them?

I wouldnt recommend it. Frogs are very sensitive creatures and I doubt they could handle the shipment, but ie never tried it. Maybe someone will answer us with more optimism.

Just a word of caution:
Tokay's are MEAN and are known for that.
There might be exceptions, but all the ones I knew were biters.

I would suggest a leopard, they're really laid back and way easier to take care of.
Just saw the note about leopards, but really, they're the only ones I would recommend for the size tank.
If you're just looking for something to look at, then by all means get a tokay.

About shipping, you can, just overnight only.
>^.^<

Last edited:
Do you know of any other geckos that are layed back like the leopard gecko?

Thanks for the biter tip, i dont want one then, lol, I want one that i can take out.

I say crested gecko as well. They are great pets, very social but they can be jumpy. I would tell you more, but I'm on my phone do I can't chatter much. Aminah should pop in, she is jam packed full of Crestie knowledge! Her SN is Aneesa's Muse or something similar to that. Good luck! I have a crestie, btw. He is awesome and not hard to care for at all.

If you're looking for something you can take out and handle regularly, then I would definately stay away from the frogs. Too much handling is really bad for them because of the salt and oils on your hands.

Quote:
I was more interested in them for looks. I love the pacman frogs and heard that they could become quite large.

Back
Top Bottom