1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amprolin near Portland ME?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lesterlu, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    i need a small amount of amprolin for two bantams and cant afford buying the $79 minimum online. dont want sulmet because one bird is a layer. would consider buying and sharing or buy from you.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If there is a large animal vet near you, you may be able to get some from them.

Amprolium is also labled "Corid".

3. Do you have a feed store in your area ?

Amprolin (Amprolium) is CORRID. This product is in the cattle area in most feed stores and YES you can use this for chickens. No need to buy online, really most things for chickens should NOT be bought online becuase most are what is called "off label" anyhow.

If you find an online "store" they WILL charge you a big price and tell you thier product is for your chickens, some are deceptive and they also are charging Shipping and Handling and more than lilkely skimming the shipping costs.

Before you buy any procuct, get on this site and ASK questions. We here are more than happy to help, we have experience in animal care and most have had a lot of chickens for a long time.

Most of us are FORCED to take matters into our own hands. The vet can not see our chickens usually because they really do not know a lot about them. We are FORCED to use products that are "off lable" and only experience has shown which ones work and which one do not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  4. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    thanks VERY much Rim and Pips,

i will look for Corid. if that doesnt work, my vet doesnt see birds, but i will look for a farm vet.

i bought sulmet at a blue seal store, but they didnt know anybetter and told me it was ok for layers with a egg eating withdrawal time. (then the manufacturer said dont use on layers period.)

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

if you have a vet that treats your other animals, sometimes they will sell you a dab- or mine will. Good luck and you must be close to the Tractor Supply Company down there, also other feed stores can carry those things.
    Good luck!

6. You know, I just thought, what are you treating for ?

Corid is for Cocci and Sulmet is an antibiotic mostly used for Coryza and MG/CRD chronic respiratory disease/ air sac involvement.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:if your in portland,,,, aint you close to the horse races?? just a little south of ya..

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I bought my Amprolium from First State Vet Supply online, and there was no minimum order that I was aware of.

Treating coccidiosis is a very personal choice, and each option has its risks, but you could try some of the old-timey remedies that seek to boost the chicken's helpful gut bacteria ~ with things like buttermilk, for example, or other probiotics like yogurt. While no cure is a sure thing, Amprol is sure dependable . . . but I have also had good luck with probiotics whenever I have tried them.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by