1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amputate chick leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittycat1356, Mar 30, 2017.

1. kittycat1356

kittycat1356 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Fayetteville nc
    Hello! I have been hatching out chicks for about 2 months now, my incubator is a little quirky, so I haven't been having the best time.

Recently I had chick hatch late, 3 days late. I assisted him because he was screaming in the incubator, I helped him out of his shell, his egg veins were already dried up and yolk fully absorbed. I put him in my mini broader to pop out of his bottom shell in his own time. The next morning he was out and rolling around.

His one leg is messed up. He can't open it at the (ankle, knee) so it's constantly curled under him, but he tries to run around using his other leg making that one bend oddly (the toes) I put a shoe on that foot and he has been taking it well I guess. But his other leg is starting to splay because he is using his ankle as his other leg.

Is there a way to amputate his messed up leg? It still has feeling and he can kind of move his toes, but he's otherwise in pretty good shape. I also made a takeover for him to use, it worked well but the tape twisted and the foot would slide out from under him.

I think it's a slipped tendon, I can't seem to push it back into place though. I'm afraid ill break his tiny leg before getting the tendon back in the right spot.

I would cull him, but I got attached to him,so I'd like to try and avoid that.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't really do that well on just one leg. It'd be like amputating a humans leg, and not giving them crutches or a prosthetic. Hard as it may be, the best thing is probably to just cull him

3. DarkWater1929

DarkWater1929 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Redding, California
    Hello!
    Will you please tell me what ever became of your little lame chick? I have one that was brought to me with a slipped tendon, too late to put it back. She is growing up, but the one leg is a terrible problem for her. I will appreciate knowing whether you found a workable solution. Thank you so much!

Zoechicken likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by