Amputated my chickens leg last night...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristyAnneCobb, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ChristyAnneCobb

ChristyAnneCobb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    DFW area
    My Coop
    Hi there. This is my first post here and unfortunately not the best topic...WARNING: POSSIBLY GRAPHIC TO SOME. THERE IS A PICTURE.

So I've had issues with my Dalmatian trying to kill my chickens. I just recently added 3 little bantam silkie/frizzles pullets roughly 3 months old. Well they apparently spent their first night in the coop checking it for weaknesses and got out. I didn't know this when I let my Dalmatian out that morning and he killed one and chewed on another...
    My little frizzle girl had a totally broken leg high up on the femur but everything else was ok. My husband and I are both in the medical field and contacted the vet. While he wasn't willing to do the surgery he gave us the supplies to do it ourselves. So, we sedated her with Ketamine/Valium in the muscle and waited for her to fall asleep. We sterilized pruning sheers as best as possible. We used a tourniquet as hig

h up on the leg as we could. First my husband made a skin incision below where we needed to cut and rolled that skin back to use to close over the bone. Then he cut the bone. (I didn't watch that part) He said there was almost no blood. He rolled the skin back down and sutured the flap closed over the bone. He cleaned the area as much as possible and applied an antibiotic cream. She also had a Penicillin injection. She seems to be doing ok but having a hard time waking up from the anesthesia. She is awake, but very groggy and cannot stand or eat yet roughly 12 hours after the procedure.
    Has anyone been through this recently and have any tips for wound care? I will be keeping her inside until it heals. I know that some of your probably think I should have just culled her but I had to try to save her. If her quality of life seems poor we will cull her...[​IMG]

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Aww, Im sorry. You did the right thing, because anything is better than putting her down!

3. ChristyAnneCobb

ChristyAnneCobb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    DFW area
    My Coop
    Just FYI she is doing amazing and learning to walk on her remaining leg very well! She is with some of my younger pullets for emotional support. :)

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    :ya yay!! that is great!!

5. refuge chicken

refuge chicken Out Of The Brooder

what dose of ketamin did you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by