Amputated roo's foot! What side of breast for T50 injection? Pg 5 PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjeanean, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Okay, my mottled houdan rooster somehow always manages to get stuff wrapped around his leg, and this last time cut the circulation off too long. We didn't notice until today, since he's been running around like normal and roosting on the top roost and whatever still. Anyways, I was going to just put him down, but since he's already used to his foot like this I'm trying to figure out how to amputate. His foot is dead, there's no saving it. I think the reason it got to this point so quickly is because of the cold/frostbite, cause he was fine last week. Anyways, if anyone has any advice for how to amputate a foot I'd appreciate it. From his "knee" down is completely dead, so I don't know if bleeding and whatever will be a problem. I am worried about infection, though. Thanks, and please don't turn this into a "what a horrible chicken owner" thread....if I can't amputate and save his life then I have no problem putting him down, but like I said he's been roosting up high and all that other great stuff and can run around even with his foot like this. That's the ONLY reason I'm trying to avoid killing him, not because I want to prolong a "miserable" life. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Hats off to you!! I have no idea unfortunately on how to amputate a leg but good for you for wanting to try!! [​IMG] Good luck to you and the roo.

The only advice I have (and I am sure you already know this) is to try and get a clean scalpel from a vet (or a doc friend?) and something to cauterize maybe. Again, good luck!! [​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a cutting tool, I'm more worried about aftercare. I've cut the legs off dead chickens several times, so I know what the joint looks like, I just don't know what to do with the tendons and stuff in there. It's either that or I let nature take its course and see if the foot falls off on its own. I'm seriously thinking about cauterization, but don't know what to use. A hot coal? A heated knife? I don't know....The roo is in the house right now, waiting on a "to be or not to be" verdict....I'll be keeping him inside until the stump heals up, so that's not a problem. This is the only chicken of mine that has every gotten tangled up, it's like if he sees a string he's gotta tangle himself in it. I do everything I can to make sure there are no strings or whatever in the run/coop, but sometimes when hubby feeds the chickens he leaves the string from the bag in the coop. I just don't understand why it's always this specific chicken!!!

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Does anyone know if razor blades and aluminum can be sterilized in an autoclave?

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ...[​IMG]...[​IMG]

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Some seem to have a natural ability for seeking out trouble [​IMG]

I would do some reading on cauterizing on the internet. A hot knife sounds good... At least you have some experience with cutting. I would have NO CLUE how to begin.

This website has some interesting info:

http://www.discoveriesinmedicine.com/A-An/Amputation.html

....Stumps, or the remaining limb tissues, were then sealed with red-hot irons or boiling oil or tar. This burning procedure stopped most bleeding and was also thought to help prevent gangrene (tissue rotting). In the mid-1500s, German surgeon Fabricius Hildanus (1560-1634) began using a red-hot knife for amputations, which both removed the limb and controlled bleeding at the same time.

Sounds like if you use a red hot knife, it should do both at once...

I just did a quick google search on cauterizing amputations. Hope it helps! [​IMG]

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I have had quail do fine with one leg,after a coon ate their leg off.

Is there a reason to remove, infection??

Can you just remove the foot??

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:It smells really bad and there's a small bump on the backside of the leg above the dead area. I'm 99.9% sure the bump is an infection. I was reading a thread where someone used wire cutters to cut a leg off and the chicken was fine, but I picture that scenario and broken shattered bones come to mind. Does anyone think I should just let nature take its course??? Will a whole leg from the knee down fall off on its own?

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No it will not fall off because of the bone. Guess would be better to remove at the knee.

Best if you can find someone to help for your first time.

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've got the xacto knife taken apart and the pieces, blade, needle w/ thread, and leatherman tool saw in the autoclave right now....hopefully this works! I'm really worried about crushing bone, so I'm gonna use the saw and hopefully my roo doesn't die....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by