"Amputated" toe tip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensbythesea, Mar 17, 2012.

1. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    I just found one of my hens missing the tip of her middle toe, it's a very fresh injury, she's seemingly unphased by it, but I think I can see some bone exposed?

How do I treat this? I've run it under water, but not scrubbed, and dipped it in flour to help staunch the bleeding.
    How vigorously do I scrub at this, if it is exposed? Her feet are pretty dirty to boot [​IMG] it's kind of muddy out.

Just neosporin and contain her in a crate?
    She's also been half broody, should I be concerned about missing any related illness if she is crated and sitting all day, or will that just help since she's resting her foot?

CRUD.

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several old rescue hens that are missing the tips of their toes. I never had to deal with on of these injuries while it was fresh, but I think you're doing the right thing. The only thing I would add would be some Vetricyn, which you can get at almost any feed store. And you could gently wrap the toe up with some gauze and vet wrap to keep dirt out. :)

Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by