Amtyl (not for food producing animals)

LockChicks

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
Hi! I'm so confused. I spent some time researching the use of Amtyl (amoxicillin & Tylosin) 150/100 and the bottle in red states, "not for food producing animals'.
So, why are we using it?

I mean, I eat my chickens eggs - but whenever I do a course of antibiotics I stay away from the eggs for a good two weeks post treatment. Is there something that can linger on with the use of Amtyl? Or is it just your standard, antibiotic warning?

I want to start her on a dosage instead of spending another 150+ at the vet right now, because she seems to have a little bit of a cold with some wheezing. She's acting like a super normal chicken, except for her cold. She's in my living room watching tv from her separation pen and hoping I get some good advice LOL.

I'm just curious, if its going to alter her forever or if its just the normal warning for giving livestock antibiotics.
Thanks !!

Most drugs and antibiotics are not approved for poultry, but Tylosin is one that is. Many use amoxicillin off label for treating reproductive and wound infections. If I was using amoxicillin, I would discard eggs for 7 days after discontinuing the drug. For Tylan or tylosin there is no egg withdrawal time if giving it orally. Here is a study showing the amoxicillin info:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22054104/

Now, I usually prefer only Tylosin for treating a respiratory infection, which are usually chronic diseases for life. They don’t get colds per se. What symptoms have you seen from her? But if you already have the amtyl, I would use it. Are you in the US?

Most drugs and antibiotics are not approved for poultry, but Tylosin is one that is. Many use amoxicillin off label for treating reproductive and wound infections. If I was using amoxicillin, I would discard eggs for 7 days after discontinuing the drug. For Tylan or tylosin there is no egg withdrawal time if giving it orally. Here is a study showing the amoxicillin info:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22054104/

Now, I usually prefer only Tylosin for treating a respiratory infection, which are usually chronic diseases for life. They don’t get colds per se. What symptoms have you seen from her? But if you already have the amtyl, I would use it. Are you in the US?
Hi :)
Thanks for the response.

I'm in the US.

She sneezes, wheezes and overall her color was pale. None of my other girls have any symptoms, so I have quarantined her for the time being. I had started her on 125 mg 2 x a day amoxicillin (since Friday). Her wheezing is still noticeable, but becoming less. I was concerned that perhaps my amoxicillin was not working, because I didn't see a change in much until this morning (and still not that much). Anytime I open a bottle of anything, I order another one - so I did some more research and this Amtyl kept coming up as really good for treating respiratory problems. I'd like to move her from the Amoxicillin alone to the Amtyl, but I was concerned about the "not for food producing animals" disclaimer.

Can you see any bubbles or foam in an eye, nasal drainage, or swelling around an eye or the face? If her respiratory disease is caused by a virus, it may not respond to any antibiotic. Those tend to run their course over time. Tylosin powder by itself is available online from Jedds.com . Here is a good link to read that has the common respiratory diseases (MG, coryza, Infectious bronchitis, and ILT) :
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Can you see any bubbles or foam in an eye, nasal drainage, or swelling around an eye or the face? If her respiratory disease is caused by a virus, it may not respond to any antibiotic. Those tend to run their course over time. Tylosin powder by itself is available online from Jedds.com . Here is a good link to read that has the common respiratory diseases (MG, coryza, Infectious bronchitis, and ILT) :
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 2.07.50 PM.png

Her face looks normal to me, she just seems pale (compared to the others) and sneezes, wheezes. thats a pic of her from a few moments ago.

Let us know how she gets along. When my chickens had infectious bronchitis virus, they did not need antibiotics, but they sneezed and had some congestion for about a month. Then they recovered. IB virus typically spreads to other birds in the flock, but only lasts a month.

Let us know how she gets along. When my chickens had infectious bronchitis virus, they did not need antibiotics, but they sneezed and had some congestion for about a month. Then they recovered. IB virus typically spreads to other birds in the flock, but only lasts a month.
I appreciate the information - very much.
She is acting just fine, eating away, pooping, (all the poops look great - did I just say that...). I'll keep her indoors for the rest of the week, away from the rest of them. [My husband will be thrilled].

Thank you for the encouragement :)

Those warnings (or laws) are for commercial producers selling eggs and meat in the US. Note that withdrawal times are based on the prescribed dose being given for the full duration of the drugs labeled instructions. So if a drug says to be given for 14-28 days (which may be the case for amoxicillan), if you only give it for 2 or 3 days, the withdrawal time is nonexistent.

Unless you are allergic to amoxicillan, you would have zero risk eating the meat, but probably dont want to sell or give it to others.

Update on my little girl.
I've treated her with a full run of antibiotics (5 days) (amtyl) and decided to throw in a dewormer just because.

I can't believe what I found in her little quarantine enclosure today - a freaking lash egg. EW. But wow, I'm so grateful to have been treating her with the antibiotics and all the extra probiotics and vitamins for this past week. She laid a regular egg also. (I threw it away).

She is so spunky and cheery and singing her happy chirps again.

I'm going to do the full 7 days of the antibiotic (just two more days) just for good measure.

I'm just happy she got that nasty thing out of her body and hopefully she will be ready to return to her coop mates in a few more days.

JUST YUCK.

Back
Top Bottom