1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An African Chick in Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amatino, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Amatino

Amatino Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Medina TX
    Sawubona Chicklets and Chicksters.

With a handsome hubby from Texas, it was only a matter of time before I was whisked out of my native Zimbabwe and planted firmly here in Texas. I introduced Himself to the joys of chickens in Africa and we are now in the throes of building our new chicken palace. It involves a fair amount of ... er... discussion... and lots of hard work.

I'm thrilled to find this website and forum and look forward to some happy interactions with you all.

While I have no idea what breed our African chickens were; they were big, excellent layers, never sat on eggs. The rooster was a loud, cocky and beautiful fella who protected his "girls" fiercely. We called him Ferdinand Feathers, or Ferdie, for short. He used to terrorize the guards and the gardener, but never chased us. We never figured out why.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Our first coop was very small, built out of wooden packing crates for international shipping. At the back were egg boxes. They never used them. The hens laid their eggs in the guardhouse.

[​IMG]

We didn't have the predators that we have here in Texas to deal with. We only had to protect the roost and run from snakes. Our chooks were only in the coop and run from dusk til dawn. The guards would shut them in at night (about 6pm) and they would be let out again in the morning (about 6am) to roam our 17,000 square foot garden.

I'll post some pics of the new coop once we're done.

Nice to meet y'all! (See, I'm learning Texan.) [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

From Zimbabwe to Texas must have been quite a change! By the y'all in your closing though, you're picking up the language, lol.

There are quite a few Texans here on BYC. If you'd like to chat with them, just type Texas in the search box and your state thread should pop up.

Thanks for the interesting introduction and pictures!

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck on the coop build and establishing your flock. I'm not certain if those pictures are of your present birds or those you had in Africa. Do an on site search for 'New Hampshires' they are probably close to the birds pictured.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens

1 person likes this.
  5. Amatino

Jul 10, 2015
    Medina TX
    Yes, it has been, and learning to speak American has been quite something. I've had folks say to my face "it would help if you spoke English!" Seeing as English is my mother tongue, it is quite amusing.

Thanks for the tip!

6. Amatino

Jul 10, 2015
    Medina TX
    The ones I had in Africa. Thank you. I shall look up the breed and see how well they match. I would love to know what breed they were.

7. Amatino

Jul 10, 2015
    Medina TX
    Thank you.

8. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC from Kenya [​IMG] - great to have you onboard.

I hope that you are able to replicate your chicken-keeping in Zim. Sounds like the chickens you had there were a commercial breed - the local chickens here (aka road-runners) go broody when there's a "Y" in the day of the week!

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "It would help if you spoke English." Yep, that would be Texas.

10. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by