An Agatha Cluckworth mystery!

warmheart

Songster
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Norton, MA
Our buxom, bosom-y, bustle-butted playful Barred Plymouth Rock pullet's comb and wattles have gotten huge and traffic-light red. But still, no eggs! The wait seemed interminable. I soothed myself, thinking that while the small mixed flock ranges freely during the day, at least in the mornings they're confined to the fenced garden so that Agatha would be able to see the egg-laying examples of Prudence (Golden Comet) and Mable PoofCheeks (Easter Egger), who lay in the mornings in the coop's tidy nestboxes, next to the wooden ersatz eggs. My biggest fear would be that freehweeling, playful Agatha would lay her egg in the woods, in the rough brush in the wild part of the large yard.

Today I had a visitor, and I was showing my guest how Pru the Golden Comet would happily eat from your hand. Part of the flock attended, to get snacks too, and some of the flock was off foraging.. or so I thought.

Suddenly, a "BEGAWK!" rang out!

From far off in the chickenwoods, "Buk-buk-buk-BEGAWK-buk-buk-buk-BEGAWK..." The triumphant egg-laying song! Just then, Agatha emerged from the woods, and it was clear that SHE was singing the song! She was calm, proud, and strutting as she sang out her triumph. Alfie the rooster accompanied her with some soft "Begawks" of his own, and a slow, stately march behind the still singing Agatha.

How am I going to find her first egg? I've looked through briar patch and wood, and I can't find a brown egg in the underbrush!

If I keep everyone in the garden tomorrow until the afternoon, will Agatha learn to lay in the coop? Should I keep them in the garden for a week, until Agatha learns to lay in the coop? Egg hunts are more fun at Easter time!

New layers can have an irregular laying schedule, a week would be better. If you are sure she has laid for the day you could leave them out.

Thank you. Yes, maybe she would lay every other day for a while. I think she's 6 - 7 months old now at least, so she must be ready to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom